Cowboy hats are one of the most iconic images that you can find.
Whether you are a fan of Westerns on the silver screen or you actually go out and rustle cows and horses yourself,
you’ll be more than aware of the wide brim and pointed middle that characterizes these accessories.
But what do they actually do? Well, a good cowboy hat will always firstly keep the sun and dust out of your eyes as well as keep the light off your face.
Cowboys will often find themselves out in the daylight for long hours, so having the right level of UV protection is extremely important.
But these hats are not just for cowboys. You can always wear these hats when you are out shopping or hitting the tiles on a wild night out.
Cowboy hats have become popular accessories in recent years, so you won’t look that strange if you choose to wear one with your favorite outfit.
Cowboy hats also come in all different shapes and sizes. You can get basic ones made from wool, fancy ones made from felt or durable ones made from straw.
Durability is very important, especially if you are wearing your cowboy during rodeo competitions.
So where exactly can you find some of the best cowboy hats? What materials should you be looking for?
What features do the best cowboy hats have? How can you be sure that your cowboy hat will stand the test of time?
How much can you be looking to spend on a high-end cowboy hat?
Well, if you want the answers to these questions and a whole lot more, then we would suggest that you keep reading.
We have compiled a list of some of the best cowboy hats that you can find on the market.
We’ll be looking at how resilient they are, how stylish they are and how affordable they are to get you the best for your buck!
Best Cowboy Hats
OUR TOP PICK
First off, we’re going to start with a classic cowboy hat brand, the Mercedes of cowboy hat manufacturers.
This hat is a great starting point for anyone who is new to the cowboy hat-wearing game.
This hat is sleek and stylish, coming with a pinched brim that will make it easy to take on and off - introducing the Stetson Men’s Bozeman Outdoor Hat.
This hat is made from pure wool, and you really can tell that as soon as you touch it.
This is soft but wears well, easily able to withstand plenty of dust, which is handy if you will be wearing this out on the ranch.
This comes in a few different colors, so you can buy one that suits you or a few to complement the range of outfits that you have.
This hat is also one of the most resilient that we have found. When we tested it, it not only fit really well, but the brim gave us plenty of coverage over our face and eyes.
This hat will fit snugly to most heads and will not cause you any chafing, which is often an issue with hats made from coarser material.
- With a wide and pinched brim, you can be sure that this hat will give you maximum comfort as well as shield your eyes from the harsh sunlight.
- This hat is made from wool, which not only means that it will not succumb to wear and tear from dust, but it will also dry easier after the rain.
- This comes with a leather hatband, which really adds that touch of authenticity and will allow you to keep any odds and ends that you don’t want getting crushed in your pocket.
- This also comes with a leather sweatband that will help you to absorb a lot of the moisture that accumulates when you are out in the sun after a long day.
- This hat might be slightly too large, even for the largest head. If you can, we would recommend trying on this hat before committing to a purchase.
You can also find this product here.
Next up, we have another hat from the brilliant Stetson brand, this one is perfect for anyone who is looking for something that fits a little more comfortably on their head.
This is because of the soft wool element, which will not rub or chafe the top of the forehead, a common issue with harder brushed hats - introducing Stetson Men’s Gus Soft Wool Crushable Cowboy Hat.
When it comes to having a foldable hat, then this Stetson is perfect for you.
If you are planning on taking a long trip across your acreage with a lot of gear and you want a hat that you can easily stow away, then look no further than this one.
You can crush this up, unfold it and wear it without deforming the original shape.
This hat is very stylish, giving you everything that you need for complementing a lot of cowboy wear.
In fact, we found that this is one of the best cowboy hats to wear for a competition or just when you are hitting the town.
We would certainly recommend this hat for anyone who wants to look good.
- This hat is great for working outdoors, giving you all the protection that you need from UV rays, dust and the occasional downpour of rain.
- This hat is also extremely stylish, you can wear it in every scenario, perfectly complementing the classic check shirt.
- This hat is extremely comfortable, it will not chafe you on the head or give you any cause to take it off when you are doing hard labor. It is also great for absorbing sweat and grime.
- You can crush up this woolen hat without having to worry about losing its shape. This will definitely be of concern to anyone who is wearing the hat for purely cosmetic reasons.
- With such versatility and comfort unfortunately comes a higher price tag. You should really only buy this hat if you are going to be wearing it regularly.
You can also find this product here
Next up, we have something that is a little more durable, coming in a moody black color that you can be sure will get all heads turning at the rodeo.
This hat is thick and warm, making it great for keeping your head warm on those frosty winter mornings.
We would certainly recommend this hat for the serious cowboy - introducing Ariat Accessories Wool Cowboy Hat.
This hat is heavy and hearty, giving you everything that you need for a decent level of comfort.
This comes with a three-piece leather strap around the middle, which is very important if you are looking to keep your hands free and carry some things in your hat rather than your pocket.
This hat is black, so you can be sure that it will not show up stains or even any burn marks.
We all know how hazardous it can get in the great outdoors, and to some cowboys, it is important to look presentable the whole time.
This hat comes with a wide brim, so you can be sure that you will receive maximum protection.
- This comes with a sweatband with a buckle that you can use to affix items to including playing cards, your mobile phone or a credit card.
- This hat is very durable and you can even fold it up, which is very useful if you are travelling in a car with a lot of gear.
- This comes with a pinched brim that will more or less stay in shape no matter how firmly you crush it.
- This comes made with 100% wool, which makes it very absorbent, even when you are taking it out in the rain.
- This is another very expensive hat, so make sure that you are going to be wearing this hat a lot before forking out for it.
You can also find this product here.
This next hat is one for someone who likes their cowboy hats to be dripping with luxury.
You can be sure that you’ll have everything that you need to turn some heads when you are at your next rodeo.
This comes with a wide brim that you can be sure will give you everything that you need to screen your eyes and face from UV light - introducing Justin Men’s Rodeo 3X Wool Felt Cowboy Hat.
This cowboy hat will be difficult to bend or break, giving you a guarantee that it will maintain its shape even if you have it wrapped up with the rest of your belongings in the back of your pickup for a long-haul journey.
This hat is pure felt, so it will be able to resist the elements such as rain and wind just as well as their wool counterparts.
This hat is a stylish black color and will fit in with most types of outfit, from check shirts to plain black jeans and shirts.
This also has a very smooth feel and will not result in any chafing on the forehead or the back of the neck. This hat is also very accommodating and can fit most head sizes.
- This hat is one of the most durable on this list. If you are spending long hours outdoors, then this is the perfect hat to be wearing.
- This hat can be crushed and placed in the back of your wagon or truck. However, we would recommend keeping its shape to make it last as long as possible.
- This felt hat comes with a wide brim, which is perfect for helping you to keep the sun out of your face. This hat will also keep you very warm, as it has a thick body.
- This is one of the most thermally versatile hats currently on the market. You can be sure that you’ll retain as much heat as possible.
- This hat might be a little bit too luxurious for your average cowboy that is looking to hit the trail multiple times in a day.
Finally, we have the cheapest hat that is currently available on the market. For under $30, you can get a very decent cowboy hat that will be very reliable in sun, rain or even snow.
This comes in a very stylish shape that will keep the sun from your eyes and out of your face - introducing UwantC Mens Faux Felt Western Cowboy Hat.
This hat is made from a blend of polyester, leather and felt, although that really doesn’t make it any less durable than the more expensive wool models.
This hat is great for all weathers, so you really need not worry about getting caught in the rain or the frost.
If you have a wide brim, then you can be sure that no sun will get in your eyes, which is useful when doing complex manual work.
- This hat comes in a wide range of stylish colors, there really is something for everybody with this range.
- If you are looking for a decent hat with a wide brim, then you won’t need to look that much further. This will keep your eyes screened from intense sunlight.
- The price - when it comes to getting a reasonably-priced hat, then this is the model for you. This is great for someone who might only want a cowboy hat as an accessory or to wear at tournaments.
- This hat is much cheaper than a wool version, which means that the material that it is made from is much cheaper overall.
When it comes to having the right cowboy hat, you’ll need to think about exactly what you’ll be using it for.
If you are just wanting one for cosmetic purposes, then you should have a hat that is cheaper and made from less expensive material.
However, if you are going to be wearing it on the ranch, then you should spend extra dollars.
Here are a few things that you’ll be looking for when shopping for another hat:
How Well Does It Fit?
Comfort is just as important as style when it comes to cowboy hats and you won’t want a hat that is constantly slipping down over your eyes or riding up at the back of your neck.
What Material Is It Made From?
Material is a very important factor when you are considering how long your hat is going to last. If you have a hat that is made from felt, then you can expect it to last you for at least a year.
You can get cheaper hats that are made from polyester or a mixture of leather and felt. However, if you are going to pay for a cheaper hat, then it won’t last you as long.
These hats are designed to be used in the harshest weather conditions, so it is important that you should have a hat either made of felt or robust polyester.
Frequently Asked Questions
What Does The X On A Cowboy Hat Mean?
The X will usually tell you how much fur is contained in your hat. If your hat comes with a high fur content, then you can be sure that it will be more durable and resistant to the elements.
If your hat comes with the 100X rating, then you can be sure that it will incorporate elements of rabbit and beaver, as well as wool blends. A hat that contains 100X fur will be a lot smoother and more comfortable than a 2X wool hat.
When Should You Remove Your Cowboy Hat?
A good time to remove your hat is when the national anthem is sung. This is practiced in most rodeos and cowboy conventions.
Make sure that your hat is firmly on your head, as it is considered bad etiquette to show the lining of your hat.
If you are taking off your hat for any extended period, then we would recommend that you place it on the floor or upturned on a rack.
This will give the hat a chance to air out as well as helping you to maintain its shape.